Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Dag Ove <daggy2k AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT simula.no>, sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:22:08 +0100

On Feb 26, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Dag Ove
<daggy2k AT hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for quick response!
>
> In "Documentation of the SCTP-Implementation - Release: sctplib-1.0"
> under "2 General Concepts" it says:
>
> "All of these functions may be made use of by simply linking the static
> libsctp-library to an application,
> and including the file sctp.h. As SCTP operates on top of IP, we chose to
> open a raw socket to catch
> all incoming packets with the IP protocol id byte set to 132 (=SCTP). For
> this, it is necessary that an
> application using the library functions have privileges to do so. On most
> Unix machines that means this
> application has to be run by root (i.e. be made setuid 0)."
And this is true for running SCTP/IP.

> After examining the adaption.c file I believe that this is the case also
> when the macro SCTP_OVER_UDP is set.
> Since Android does not allow opening of raw socket, i don't think sctplib
> can be used on Android
Then this is not implemented in an optimal way. Please note that I moved from
developing sctplib
to the FreeBSD kernel implementation and its port to userland, the usrsctp
library.

From my perspective, the sctplib only get bug fixes. Not sure if someone will
change the above code.
Thomas: Do you have any intention to do so?
> without rooting the Android device.
>
> I haven't heard about usrsctp before, but will take a look at it!
It is the port of the FreeBSD kernel implementation to userland and is
used for RTCWeb by Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
> Does it provide the same functionality as sctplib?
It supports much more features and is actively maintained and used in a couple
of browsers for RTCWeb. What is the context you want to use SCTP for?
> Do you know if it has been tested on Android before?
I think so, since some of the browsers run on Android...