Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: Dag Ove <daggy2k AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>, "sctp-discussion AT sctp.de" <sctp-discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:57:28 +0100

Torsdag 27. februar 2014 14.12.41 skrev Dag Ove:
> In the SCTP-API of sctplib: 6.4 ULP-to-SCTP6.4.1. sctp_initLibrary()"This
> function will open raw sockets for capturing SCTP packets (IPv4 and if
> possible, IPv6 too) from the network and initialize the timer list. It
> needs to be called before any other functions of the libsctp-library are
> called"
> I interpret the above line that function sctp_library() needs to
> be called regardless if using SCTP/IP or SCTP/UDP. Is it possible that if I
> only intend to use SCTP/UDP I dont need to call sctp_initLibrary() ? The
> context I want to use SCTP/UDP is as an example protocol for comparing it
> to HTTP/TCP and plain UDP when exchanging SOAP messages/XML data with a Web
> service server, so I simply want to use in a peer-to-peer system between
> Android and a java server. It had a look at usrsctp, but I had more trouble
> compiling the native C for Android, some classes/headers were missing
> (ifaddrs.h, umem.h, pthread.h). I am not very familiar with freeBSD.
> SCTPLIB was easier to compile and install on Android, but the problem
> arised when" sctp_initLibrary()" calls "adl_init_adaptation_layer()", which
> in turn calls "adl_open_sctp_socket()". I don't understand why the function
> "adl_open_sctp_socket()" in adaptation.c tries to open a raw socket even if
> SCTP_OVER_UDP is set (ref lines 571-585 in
> https://github.com/dreibh/sctplib/blob/master/sctplib/sctp/adaptation.c) I
> this is not an implementation error, I would be very interrested in what
> functions to use to enable SCTP_over_UDP.

"./configure --enable-sctp-over-udp" enables the SCTP over UDP mode.

If you use the socket API, also use "./configure --enable-sctp-over-udp" when
building the socketapi. With sctplib/socketapi, you have in fact the full API
of a kernel implementation available. (In the FreeBSD-derived userland
usrsctp, important things like poll()/select() are missing.)

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

Thomas Dreibholz

Simula Research Laboratory
Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
Mailing address: P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
E-Mail:
dreibh AT simula.no
Homepage: http://simula.no/people/dreibh