RSPlib Discussions

Text archives Help

Re: [RSPlib-Discusssion] heartbeat mechanism implementation

  • From: "thibault Renier" <toubix AT kom.auc.dk>
  • To: "Tuexen Michael" <michael.tuexen AT siemens.com>, <rsplib-discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [RSPlib-Discusssion] heartbeat mechanism implementation
  • Date: Thu Jan 23 13:22:00 2003

Hi Michael,

the ASAP draft refers to the 'endpoint keep alive message' which is just, in
my opinion, another way to name a heartbeat mechanism :

2.2.7 ENDPOINT_KEEP_ALIVE message
This message is sent to a PE by the ENRP server has a "health" check.
If the transport level Heart Beat mechanism is insufficient (usually
this means that time outs are set for too long or heartbeats are not
frequent enough), this adds heartbeat messages with the goal of
determining health status in a more timely fashion.

Let summarize like this:
1_ there is a HB mechanism implemented at the SCTP layer, between the PU and
the PE
2_ another 'HB mechanism' exists between the PE and the NS, implemented in
RSerPool
Am I right ??

so,
have you only implemented the SCTP HB mechanism,
how are(is) these(this) mechanism(s) implemented,
what is the frequency for message sending,
do you have an idea of the overhead introduced by these mechanisms,
what's your opinion concerning their efficiency ?

Best regards
Tibo