Re(6): [SCTP-Discussion] Strings vs. Sockunion (was: Is the timer_list initialised?)

  • From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re(6): [SCTP-Discussion] Strings vs. Sockunion (was: Is the timer_list initialised?)
  • Date: Fri Apr 6 12:55:01 2001

Dear Marc,
see my comments below.

e-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de

On Fri, Apr 6, 2001, Marc Boucher
<marc+sctp AT mbsi.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:45:29AM +0200, Michael Tüxen wrote:
>> Dear Marc,
>> we are providing sctp_socketCallback only for UDP handling. So are you
>> thinking about UDP or SCTP traffic?
>
>In -pre8 dispatch_event() called adl_sockunion2str() to pass the address
>in string form to callbacks for both UDP and SCTP messages.
>
>In -pre8g Andreas seems to have commented out the callback call for SCTP,
>but the adl_sockunion2str() call is still present [trivial to remove though].
These should be removed. So there is no performance argument for SCTP traffic.

>So the SCTP case can be solved internally without changing sctp.h, but the
>problem remains for the UDP interface.
That is what I understand. So coming to the point: Do you use our library for
lots of UDP traffic? For us, UDP support is not our main interest, so we
used the SCTP like API for it.

So the possible scenarios for the UDP usage are:

1. Are you only using our adaptation layer for a lot of UDP traffic?
2. Are you using both SCTP and a lot of UDP?
3. Are you only using SCTP and/or almost no UDP traffic?

Which applies for you?

So I think the best solution would be if you really(!) have lots of UDP
traffic
to supply another (which makes then two) UDP API based on sockunion.

But what is the usage for this lots of UDP traffic?