RE: [SCTP-Discussion] polling problem

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] polling problem
  • Date: Fri May 18 13:12:01 2001

Dear Vaclav,

see my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 51 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

[Tuexen Michael] This will be possible with the next
prerelease where user defined file descriptors are supported.

> I have looked at file adaptation.c. I realized there is no support for
> this. I dont't want to poll SCTP socket and LiS fd alternately becouse
> of performance. I would like to try to suppose a soluion of this
> problem.
>
> If an (user) applicaton would know an active SCTP fildes, it could poll
> for set of SCTP and LIS(or any other general) filedes. If an POLLIN,
> POLLPRI, or POLLERR occures on SCTP fds, then application should call a
> sctp_getEvents in order to sevice SCTP events.

[Tuexen Michael] This should remain in the sctplib. With
the user defined filedescriptor support there should be no need
to do this in your app.

> But normally an aplicaton doesn't know these SCTP file descriptors -> it
> can't poll them. The structure poll_fds is declared static
> /adaptation.c/. I suppose to write and add a simple function which would
> return a poll_fds structure.
>
> I am not an experienced programmmer. Is this approach good? Or can I
> solve my problem easier? The second approach is of course to add support
> for registrating callbacks for user-defined general filedescriptors. It
> seems it requests bigger changes at adaptation.c.

[Tuexen Michael] It will be in pre10

> Thank You!

[Tuexen Michael] Are you using the openss7 stack for
MTP in combination with our SCTP implementation? Would be great.