Re: [SCTP-Discussion] polling problem

  • From: "Vaclav Urbanek" <xurbanev AT fel.cvut.cz>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] polling problem
  • Date: Fri May 18 14:34:01 2001

Michael, thank you for your answer. I add my current status and something
about ss7 stack below. I hope it will be usefull for you.

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a specific question about implementation.
> >
> > My goal is to make a some kind for ss7 mtp2 SCTP tunnel. It should be
> > something like sigtran m2peer. It is not professional solution. I am
> > working on it within my diploma work.
> >
> > I need to poll not only SCTP sockets, STDIN or UDP sockets. I need to
> > poll also my LiS STREAMS file descriptor, where resides my driver for
> > SS7 device /Which I wrote with compliant with openss7.org project/.
> >
> [Tuexen Michael] This will be possible with the next
> prerelease where user defined file descriptors are supported.
>
> > I have looked at file adaptation.c. I realized there is no support for
> > this. I dont't want to poll SCTP socket and LiS fd alternately becouse
> > of performance. I would like to try to suppose a soluion of this
> > problem.
> >
> > If an (user) applicaton would know an active SCTP fildes, it could poll
> > for set of SCTP and LIS(or any other general) filedes. If an POLLIN,
> > POLLPRI, or POLLERR occures on SCTP fds, then application should call a
> > sctp_getEvents in order to sevice SCTP events.
> >
> [Tuexen Michael] This should remain in the sctplib. With
> the user defined filedescriptor support there should be no need
> to do this in your app.
>
> > But normally an aplicaton doesn't know these SCTP file descriptors ->
it
> > can't poll them. The structure poll_fds is declared static
> > /adaptation.c/. I suppose to write and add a simple function which
would
> > return a poll_fds structure.
> >
> > I am not an experienced programmmer. Is this approach good? Or can I
> > solve my problem easier? The second approach is of course to add
support
> > for registrating callbacks for user-defined general filedescriptors. It
> > seems it requests bigger changes at adaptation.c.

My current status:

I used function int adl_get_sctpv4_socket(void) to get a socket fd for
aplication. But it doesn't work fine. If an event occurs at SCTP fd, the
sctp_getEvents() is immidiately called at my program. But sometimes this
function (sctp_getEvents()) returns 0 (no event} and really any callback
isn't called. I thing it is odd. But maybe there is some error at my code.

> [Tuexen Michael] It will be in pre10

I am looking forward for pre10

> > Thank You!
> >
> [Tuexen Michael] Are you using the openss7 stack for
> MTP in combination with our SCTP implementation? Would be great.

Something about openss7
Open ss7 project is under development. Currently it works fine up to MTP
L2. Three days ago the leader of project Brian F. G. Bidulock gave at
server an implementation of SCTP under LiS - Linux STREAMS. It is also
under development, works with bugs. They presented a code of SCTP LiS
implementation on some bakeof at Sofia. You can visit page www.openss7.org.

The whole open ss7 stack is designed under kernel. It is built by means of
Linux STREAMS. Thus it is more suitable to use a SCTP implemetation under
LiS. My aim was only make a SCTP tunnel for ss7 messages at level 2. (MTP).
It is a temporary solution. After finishing SS7 stack (L3 and more) and
finishing implementation of LiS SCTP, there will be no need for it.

Best regards
Vaclav