[SCTP-Discussion] polling problem

  • From: Vaclav Urbanek <xurbanev AT fel.cvut.cz>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] polling problem
  • Date: Mon May 7 14:32:01 2001

Hello all,

I have a specific question about implementation.

My goal is to make a some kind for ss7 mtp2 SCTP tunnel. It should be
something like sigtran m2peer. It is not professional solution. I am
working on it within my diploma work.

I need to poll not only SCTP sockets, STDIN or UDP sockets. I need to
poll also my LiS STREAMS file descriptor, where resides my driver for
SS7 device /Which I wrote with compliant with openss7.org project/.

I have looked at file adaptation.c. I realized there is no support for
this. I dont't want to poll SCTP socket and LiS fd alternately becouse
of performance. I would like to try to suppose a soluion of this
problem.

If an (user) applicaton would know an active SCTP fildes, it could poll
for set of SCTP and LIS(or any other general) filedes. If an POLLIN,
POLLPRI, or POLLERR occures on SCTP fds, then application should call a
sctp_getEvents in order to sevice SCTP events.

But normally an aplicaton doesn't know these SCTP file descriptors -> it
can't poll them. The structure poll_fds is declared static
/adaptation.c/. I suppose to write and add a simple function which would
return a poll_fds structure.

I am not an experienced programmmer. Is this approach good? Or can I
solve my problem easier? The second approach is of course to add support
for registrating callbacks for user-defined general filedescriptors. It
seems it requests bigger changes at adaptation.c.

Thank You!
--

Vaclav Urbanek
Student of Czech Technical Univeristy Prague