Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Socket API Question

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de, Dilip <dilris AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Socket API Question
  • Date: Tue Sep 11 14:45:01 2001

Am Dienstag, 11. September 2001 14:28 schrieb Dilip:
> Hi
>
> The socket api allows us to have features similar to
> the normal socket api for TCP/UDP.
>
> Does the SCTP socket api support the feature of
> select()
> if not can anyone suggest how to have a server which
> is single threaded concurrent.

select() is not implemented in the current version of the socket API. This
will be implemented in a future version. At the moment, you can use threads
to simultaneously serve several clients (see sctpmultiserver.cc for a
complete C++ example).

> If I fork a process will the new process get the SCTP
> support?? (as I understand that we cant have 2 SCTP
> applications running on the same host)

This is possible if sctpd is used instead of the original sctplib. The sctpd
server contains the sctplib instance. sctpd clients use this single instance
via this server.
Note: The socket API has not been tested with sctpd yet!

> ---
> Also when I terminate the client (Ctrl-C) the server
> doesnt get the LOST communication.. it still runs
> assuming the client to be there...

Which client program do you use? If you use "sctpterminal" in the
socket_programs directory, the Ctrl-C signal is intercepted by the program
(using a signal handler) and a clean shutdown is made. If you use "terminal",
Ctrl-C immediately stops the program and therefore the complete SCTP
instance. A shutdown is not sent to the server and so it does not recognise
the terminal program's removal.

Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Essen, Office ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Homepage: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh