Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Socket API Question

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Cc: Dilip <dilris AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Socket API Question
  • Date: Tue Sep 11 15:59:01 2001

Dear all,
see my comments below.

Thomas Dreibholz wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 11. September 2001 14:28 schrieb Dilip:
> > Hi
> >
> > The socket api allows us to have features similar to
> > the normal socket api for TCP/UDP.
> >
> > Does the SCTP socket api support the feature of
> > select()
> > if not can anyone suggest how to have a server which
> > is single threaded concurrent.
>
> select() is not implemented in the current version of the socket API. This
> will be implemented in a future version. At the moment, you can use threads
> to simultaneously serve several clients (see sctpmultiserver.cc for a
> complete C++ example).
There will be C based examples with the next release. You can NOT write
a single thread concurrent server right now. After an implementation of a
ext_select call you can, but this is for a future release.

> > If I fork a process will the new process get the SCTP
> > support?? (as I understand that we cant have 2 SCTP
> > applications running on the same host)
>
> This is possible if sctpd is used instead of the original sctplib. The sctpd
> server contains the sctplib instance. sctpd clients use this single instance
> via this server.
> Note: The socket API has not been tested with sctpd yet!
You can NOT use fork in combination with the sctpd. And even if we
have implemented the socket_api on top of the sctpd, you will have to
use an ext_fork() call which does more that simply fork.

> > ---
> > Also when I terminate the client (Ctrl-C) the server
> > doesnt get the LOST communication.. it still runs
> > assuming the client to be there...
>
> Which client program do you use? If you use "sctpterminal" in the
> socket_programs directory, the Ctrl-C signal is intercepted by the program
> (using a signal handler) and a clean shutdown is made. If you use
> "terminal",
> Ctrl-C immediately stops the program and therefore the complete SCTP
> instance. A shutdown is not sent to the server and so it does not recognise
> the terminal program's removal.
That is correct. Even in the C based examples you to give to sctp thread time
to complete its work. This is different from a kernel implementation.