Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Some general queries on implementation

  • From: "La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll" <piggy AT baqaqi.chi.il.us>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Some general queries on implementation
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 02:04:01 2001

"Michael Mueller"
<bhu5nji AT yahoo.com>
writes:
> I am also interested in where you see SCTP heading. I am hearing
> mixed reactions (+ to -) from my contacts in NA at companies ranging
> from equipment vendors to network service providers.

I've been handling 3-4 queries per month from organizations planning
to build an SCTP-based product on Linux. At the three bakeoffs we've
seen nearly 30 implementations. Both of these suggest that the
interest and commitment to SCTP are both very high.

Ericsson for one has been shipping SCTP-based products for over a year.

You might also want to grab a copy of Telecomm Magazine's top 10 list
of hottest technologies in 2001:

http://www.telecommagazine.com/issues/200105/tcs/tenHottest.html

> How could sctplib not be solid with such a large user community?
> Unless I am completely missing something, it appears to me that the
> user interaction for sctplib has higher volume than any other SCTP
> group available. I've subscribed to every SCTP group that I can
> find and the sctplib group is the ONLY group from which I see
> interaction. Can someone help me get plugged in to other SCTP
> discussions if they exist?

I would concur that sctplib has the most active user community of the
four open source SCTP implementations I know of. I would claim that
the LKSCTP <sf.net/projects/lksctp> developer community comes a close
second. Our kernel-based implementation is not quite as mature as
Michael's and Andreas' implementation, so naturally our user base is
narrower. We're working very hard to catch up though. I think we'll
make a very nice showing at the next bakeoff.

Randy's user space implementation is certainly the most mature,
stable, and complete out there, and I speak from experience with
several of the commercially available implementations. If I had to
ship product tomorrow, I'd ship Randy's code. Randy and Qiaobing are
coders on par with Richard Stallman.

I'm really looking forward to the FreeBSD/KAME version Randy and Peter
Lei are promising to release shortly.
--
La Monte H.P. Yarroll Home:
piggy AT baqaqi.chi.il.us