[SCTP-Discussion] PROTOCOL ERROR- How to simulate

  • From: "Sundaresan M" <sundarem AT future.futsoft.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] PROTOCOL ERROR- How to simulate
  • Date: Thu Dec 13 13:02:00 2001

Currently apart from IUA testsuite development I am also involved in M3UA
testsuite development.

In M3UA, I was testing a Error condition - PROTOCOL ERROR.

According to draft-ietf-m3ua-06.txt --> Protocol error means the following,
The "Protocol Error" error is sent for any protocol anamoly i.e. , reception
of a parameter that is syntactically correct
but unexpected in the current situation.

When I was testing MGC from SG my scenario for the following looked like
this:
1) On receiving ASPUP from the ASP(MGC) send ASPUP ACK followed by the
Notify message with Routing context field populated.
--> Meaning that NOTIFY is expected at this moment, but without the ROuting
Context value. SO Notify is syntactically correct, but the parameter
"Routing Conext" is unexpected in current situation.
I think this is fine.

Now I am testing the SG side. But now I am unable to find a typical scenario
for PROTOCOL error situation. Can anyone help me out to figure a scenario
where this is possible.

Please do respond with some good ideas.

Best Regards,
Sundar.
sundarem AT future.futsoft.com

  • [SCTP-Discussion] PROTOCOL ERROR- How to simulate, Sundaresan M, 12/13/2001