Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP streams and D-Channel in IUA

  • From: "Michael Mueller/bhu5nji" <bhu5nji AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP streams and D-Channel in IUA
  • Date: Thu Dec 13 16:07:01 2001

From a BRI/PRI perspective I know that one D-Channel will support
many bearer channels. I cannot remember if multiple D-Channels are
used for a group bearer channels - I think it is not done. From
this understanding I reason that two D-Channels might carry
overlapping information like CIC values. Muxing two D-Channels
together into a single association would therefore cause confusion.

On the other hand (there are fingers), it seems easy enough to
create one association for each D-Channel. The benefits of
segregating signaling channels in this manner seem substantial and
easily obtained.

A D-Channel is point-to-point - there is no to/from addresses in the
packet. If multiple D-Channels are muxed into a single association,
then it seems there is not enough information available to discern
between the two D-Channels. Managing the CIC ranges of D-Channels
might work but requires manual and ongoing coordination between
connecting parties not necessarily motivated to maintain this
coordination.

Using stream ids within a single association might work to segregate
signaling channels by assigning a stream id to each D-Channel. The
RFC2960 and the sctplib manual suggests to me that an association
negotiates the streams: the initializer "asks" for n outbound
streams. What if you need 5 and only get 1? I am not sure that if
you ask from n outbound that you get n inbound streams which further
complicates this approach. The RFC2960 indicates stream id is an
optional parm to sctp_send. What if your signaling "other end" is
designed to not use stream segregation? Too many unanswered
questions in this approach. Your point (2) is challenged to be
inter-vendor interoperable (IVIO) if my reasoning here is correct.
If there is no requirement for IVIO, then using stream ids might
work. IMHO (IVIO > ~IVIO).

I know very little about B-ISDN. Perhaps those specs have
requirements for multiple D-Channels for a group of bearer channels?
Regardless, using a separate association for each D-Channel still
works.

Mike