Re: [SCTP-Discussion] multihoming support of SCTP

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: "Thomas Heynen" <thheynen AT student.ethz.ch>, <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] multihoming support of SCTP
  • Date: Thu Aug 7 10:07:01 2003

Hello Thomas,

please find my comments below...

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 15:54, Thomas Heynen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to send a data stream over two connection in the same
> association?

I assume by the term "connection" you mean what the SCTP RFC refers to
as "path" ? Then: yes. You can set the destination path if you use
sctplib only, when you call sctp_send().

For the socketapi+sctplib combination, this is also possible.
Probably by using ext_sendto() or ext_sendmsg().
Refer to draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-06.txt.

> Does SCTP manage the load balancing if an SCTP association uses more than
> one interface on the same host?

Well, the implementation is supposed to behave according to RFC 2960 in that
respect. The application, however, may choose not to send everything over the
primary path. That is up to the application however.

> If there is a load balancing: Is there a possibilty to influence the load
> balancing?

Yes. By changing the source code of the protocol implementation.

> Can I (or an application) set preferences about which interface I would
> like SCTP to use if there are several available?

The destination IP address (corresponds to "path", see above) can be chosen.
The source IP address is normally chosen by the IP routing.
Of course, you can always set a new primary (destination) path. There are
primitives called sctp_setPrimary()/sctp_getPrimary() in the sctplib.
Refer to draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-06.txt, if you use socketapi+sctplib.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

- --
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Jungmaier
Computer Networking Technology Group
University of Duisburg-Essen
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung
My PGP Key-ID: D3824AC0

My PGP Key-Fingerprint: 228C 7C2C 3381 2DD4 9998 2812 5C0B 0B04 D382 4AC0