Re: [SCTP-Discussion] sctp under LGPL for embedded application

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: David Pascoe <dp AT ii.net>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] sctp under LGPL for embedded application
  • Date: Fri Aug 19 11:32:02 2005

Hi David,

first of all, I'm not a layer...

See my comments in-line.

On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:20 PM, David Pascoe wrote:

Hi,

Trying to get my head around the LGPL and what it means if we wanted to
use sctp-1.0.3. Our project is an embedded application, where we build for
an embedded processor on a custom board. So far we don't have any LGPL
bits in our software. The executable object can only be run on our
architecture.

So I'm assuming that we come under the category of `work based on the
library'.

Am I reading the LGPL correctly in saying that we can use sctp-1.0.3 and
link it to our target as long as we promise for 3 years to provide the
source code of all changes we make to sctp and proved all the other
objects required to link our proprietary target ? Is that our simplest way
to obey the LGPL and not have to release our oodles of source code (which
could never happen).
This sounds good. I would like to ask you to provide the patches
you made such that (if appropriate) we can incorporate them in the next
version of the sctplib. This makes also your like easier when upgrading
to a newer version of the sctplib.

I would like to know what kind of product you are building, if it
is possible for you to answer than question.

thanks,
davidp.
--
David Pascoe,
mailto:dp AT ii.net,

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense". -- E. W. Dijkstra