Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Question about path, local address and its events

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Matias Reina <mellimatias AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Question about path, local address and its events
  • Date: Tue Sep 26 18:32:05 2006

Hi Matias,

see my comments in-line.

On Sep 26, 2006, at 2:44 PM, Matias Reina wrote:

Hi all,

We are developing a Net middleware using sctplib to solve handoff issues.

Suppose that we are connecting 2 nodes, let be "node A" and "node B".

After analyze the library, we concluded that:

If I'm in node A, a path number always reference the B interfaces
node, I mean ... not the channel between A and B. For example, if node
A has 2 IP's (A1 and A2) and B has only one (B1), in node B I'll have
2 paths but in A I'll have only one.
Yes, that is correct.

Additional, if I want to send data from B through A1 IP, I just call
send with the correct path, but, If I want to send data from node A
thought my interface whit A1 IP, I can't do it.
Yes, the source address is chosen by the kernel. In the setup you
describe you still have a single point of failure.

- Is all this correct?
Yes.

- If IP A1 goes down, how can I catch this event in node A?
You could use a routing socket for that.

- networkStatusChangeNotif is only throw in B right?
Correct.

- When I recieve data from B, how can I know the path that is used to
comunicate?
? The path is always in send direction, not in receive. So why are you
interested in the IP-address which was chosen by B?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Matías Reina
FING - UdelaR - In.Co.