Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Question about path, local address and its events

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Matias Reina <mellimatias AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Question about path, local address and its events
  • Date: Wed Sep 27 21:52:01 2006

Hi Matias,

see my comments in-line.

On Sep 27, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Matias Reina wrote:

We must to know from which path the packet arrive, becouse we want to
return it throwt the same interface (that will potentialy travel in
different networks). But, additional, the most important thing is that
we want to send data in a specific interface.
I'm not sure why you want to do this because usually SCTP does a pretty
good job to get the DATA to the peer.

However, as a user you can not chose an interface where the packet is
sent that easily. This depends on the OS and you might need to send
it at the link layer. So you can not use a raw socket. The sctplib
just let the kernel decide which interface to use. This depends
on the routing table and the destination address of the packet.

How can we do that? is the best option to modify the sctplib
implementation, changing the send() call? (adding the interface
parameter)
The is no interface parameter for the send call (at least on most
Unixes).

thanks you for your time.
best regards.