Re: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Re: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] rtx_buffer instance not set during sending traffi=

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Piotr Gutkowski <gluten AT poczta.onet.pl>
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Re: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] rtx_buffer instance not set during sending traffi=
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:52:07 +0100

Hi Piotr,

thanks for letting us know that you found the bug.

See more comments in-line.

On Feb 23, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Piotr Gutkowski wrote:
I have resolved my bug - it was wrong locking in my application.

I have noticed that sctplib is very locking sensitive -
even small mistake in application can lead to many problems and cause different crash scenarios. One of them is interesting because it crashes on malloc.
Yes, it is. It uses global variables all over the place...

Some of them were similar to these described by Nigar.

So in my opinion it is necessary to use socketapi (which I don't use)
or make proper locking in application.
Even if you are using sockets, you might need some locking in
your application to protect data structures in your application.
Hunting locking bugs is always fun... Have you tried testing your application
on SMP machines with some number of cores like 4 or 8?

Otherwise during sending high performance traffic You will get crash for sure.
That is what I would expect. The same is true for locking and SCTP kernel
implementations.

Greetings,

Piotr

"Piotr Gutkowski"
<gluten AT poczta.onet.pl>
napisał(a):
Thanks for the patched version Thomas
but the problem still occurs.

Now I think my problem can be connected with old version of glib,
will try to crosscompile newer one or trace with valgrind.

Piotr