[SCTP-Discussion] sctp_send timing and sctp_eventLoop

  • From: "elie" <elie AT flashmail.com>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] sctp_send timing and sctp_eventLoop
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 22:16:30 +0800

I've built a windows application using SCTP lib which
communicates with other hardware (which uses a different
SCTP implementation), and I'm having two questions about
sctp_send and the sctp_eventloop functions.

The hardware I'm communicating is CAPS-limited. It can
handle about 100 messages per the configuration I'm working.
So, the windows application is calling sctp_send exactly 100
times a second.

The problem is that the SCTP packets are not sent
immediately - there are bursts where it reaches a much
higher capacity (about 300 messages per second) and a second
later it's slowing down almost to none (viewed via wireshark
IO graph option). Although the average is 100, the hardware
cannot handle a burst of 300 messages and losses packets.
And my question is - is there a way to control the sctp_send
rate?

About the windows application - it's a multithreaded
application, where there's a master thread calling
sctp_eventLoop in the background (i've followed the sctpapi
implementation).

My second issue is the master thread: once I want to cleanup
everything, the master thread is blocked with
sctp_eventLoop, and I need to close it - e.g. to get out of
sctp_eventLoop - (I don't want to use ExitThread). What is
the proper way of doing it?

thanks,
Eli.