Re: [SCTP-Discussion] sctp_send timing and sctp_eventLoop

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: elie AT flashmail.com
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] sctp_send timing and sctp_eventLoop
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:36:49 +0200

Hi Elie,

comments in-line.

On Jun 1, 2008, at 4:16 PM, elie wrote:

Hi,

I've built a windows application using SCTP lib which
communicates with other hardware (which uses a different
SCTP implementation), and I'm having two questions about
sctp_send and the sctp_eventloop functions.

The hardware I'm communicating is CAPS-limited. It can
What does "CAPS-limited" mean?

handle about 100 messages per the configuration I'm working.
So, the windows application is calling sctp_send exactly 100
times a second.

The problem is that the SCTP packets are not sent
immediately - there are bursts where it reaches a much
higher capacity (about 300 messages per second) and a second
later it's slowing down almost to none (viewed via wireshark
IO graph option). Although the average is 100, the hardware
cannot handle a burst of 300 messages and losses packets.
And my question is - is there a way to control the sctp_send
rate?
No. There are mechanisms (flow control and congestion control)
which affect the sending rate. If you want an absolute maximum
you have to implement it.

About the windows application - it's a multithreaded
application, where there's a master thread calling
sctp_eventLoop in the background (i've followed the sctpapi
implementation).
I hope you do the appropriate locking, since the sctplib
itself is not multithread capable.

My second issue is the master thread: once I want to cleanup
everything, the master thread is blocked with
sctp_eventLoop, and I need to close it - e.g. to get out of
sctp_eventLoop - (I don't want to use ExitThread). What is
the proper way of doing it?
I would close all associations and then quit the application...

thanks,
Eli.