[SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations

  • From: "Tine Stegel" <Tine.Stegel AT ltfe.org>
  • To: <sctp-discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:15:48 +0200

Hi all,

I am doing some research on SCTP multihoming and I would be grateful if you help me clear something up. As I know SCTP specification does not deal with how the source IP address is selected and that it is supposed to be up to each implementation, how it will handle source-address management.

Since I work with lksctp implementation, I can see it just let the operating system with its routing  to decide. I guess that selection is done by a lookup in a routing table. The message is then handed over to the IP routing that checks the routing table for the second time and selects the outgoing interface.

Well my question is:

How is with other implementations? Does any implementation (sctplib, freebsd, solaris or any other) have a mechanism to decide by itself?

With regards,

Tine Stegel