Re: [SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations

  • From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Tine Stegel <Tine.Stegel AT ltfe.org>
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:22:53 -0400

On May 7, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Tine Stegel wrote:

Hi all,

I am doing some research on SCTP multihoming and I would be grateful if you help me clear something up. As I know SCTP specification does not deal with how the source IP address is selected and that it is supposed to be up to each implementation, how it will handle source- address management.

Since I work with lksctp implementation, I can see it just let the operating system with its routing to decide. I guess that selection is done by a lookup in a routing table. The message is then handed over to the IP routing that checks the routing table for the second time and selects the outgoing interface.

Well my question is:
How is with other implementations? Does any implementation (sctplib, freebsd, solaris or any other) have a mechanism to decide by itself?
I can only answer for the sctplib here, since this mailing list
is focused on supporting that implementation.

The sctplib does not select the source address at all, it defers this
decision to the IP stack of the operating system.

With regards,

Tine Stegel