Re: [SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations

  • From: Alberto Cortés <alcortes AT it.uc3m.es>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] selection of source ip address on different implementations
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:02:44 +0200

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Michael Tüxen
<Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
wrote:
> On May 7, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Tine Stegel wrote:
>> Well my question is:
>> How is with other implementations? Does any implementation (sctplib,
>> freebsd, solaris or any other) have a mechanism to decide by itself?
>
> I can only answer for the sctplib here, since this mailing list
> is focused on supporting that implementation.
>
> The sctplib does not select the source address at all, it defers this
> decision to the IP stack of the operating system.

I believe that is the most popular approach.

I am working in a modification of the linux IP stack that will allow
to choose which source interface (and source IP) to use in the case
where more than one interface is able to handle a given packet. So you
can choose between the cheapest one, the one with more bandwidth...

If someone is interested please contact me by email.

--
Alberto Cortés
Telematic Engineering Dept. at UC3M