RE: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple instances

  • From: Sim Woon Chiat ICM CA MS MI E7 Extern <WoonChiat.Sim.extern AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple instances
  • Date: Thu May 31 16:56:02 2001

see below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Tuexen Michael ICN WN CS SE 51
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 1:24 PM
To:
'discussion AT sctp.de'

Dear all,
see my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 5 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sim Woon Chiat ICM CA MS MI E7 Extern
[SMTP:WoonChiat.Sim.extern AT icn.siemens.de]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 10:09 AM
> To:
> 'discussion AT sctp.de'
> Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple instances
>
> hi, i have the following questions:
>
> 1. It is stated in the document sctp-api-1.0-1 (section 4 : Features of
> Implementation) of the sctp library that "There can be several SCTP
> instances per host, provided they have a set of disjoint local transport
> addresses." Does that mean that we cannot have multiple instances
monitoring
> different ports on the same hosts with the same IP addresses?

[Tuexen Michael] We do support multiple SCTP processes
on a host with disjoint sets of IP-addresses. But keep in
mind you have to set up the IP forwarding correctly which
may be difficult on Linux.

[Woon Chiat] I don't quite understand the above. How does IP forwarding
comes into the picture? Maybe i need to clarify a bit here:
What I need to do is to have a single process with multiple instances, each
monitoring the same set of source IP addresses but different source ports.
Is this possible? There is doubt here as you mentioned 'disjoint sets of
IP-addresses' as oppose to 'disjoint local transport addresses' which i take
to include port numbers.

Thanks.
wc