RE: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP implementation

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP implementation
  • Date: Mon Mar 12 15:59:01 2001

See my comments below

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 51 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

[Tuexen Michael] It is developed independently from us by some nice
guys from Motorola. It uses some part of Randy's reference implementation.
> > Before you start writing a Diameter server, I suggest you get
> > familiar with the SCTP :-)
> I would like to do that... I only started working on Diameter a week ago!-(
>
> I don't think one needed to know the fine details of TCP before one uses it
> to implement a daemon... From your comment, it seems that one needs to
> understand the nitty gritty of SCTP before doing Diameter then? What would
> the reason behind this? Or did I misunderstood?
[Tuexen Michael] You do not need all the deatails of an
SCTP implementation, but you should know the features of SCTP.
Lyndon Ong wrote a nice ID for that. Look at www.sctp.de to find
the URL. The API of SCTP is also still under discussion. We do
not use a socket like API, but a similiar API as discussed in RFC
2960.

> > Then you should start implemeting it. The current implementation
> > will be in beta state, and will probably be released next week.
> > And sufficient means a lot of different things for a lot of different
> > people. Hey ! It is sufficient ! :-)
> Thanks for the response! I'll have an eye out for the new release!

[Tuexen Michael] That is nice, Thanks.