RE: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP implementation

  • From: Yiwen Jiang <Yiwen.Jiang AT tic.siemens.ca>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP implementation
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 21:37:01 2001

Hi!

> > Well SCTP is a transport protocol, so it essentially does similar
> > things as TCP. However, there is (not yet) a socket API, so each
> > implementation has sort of its own API (however most complete
> > implemetations will adhere more or less to section 10 of RFC 2960)
>
> I would like to mention that there IS a draft API,
> draft-stewart-sctpsocket-sigtran-02.txt.
> The proposed API provides two alternative views.
>
> One view provides a TCP-style interface and is specifically designed
> to make it easy to port TCP applications to SCTP.
>
> The other view provides a UDP-style interface. The UDP-style
> interface is designed with extremely high traffic applications in
> mind. It allows a single fd for hundreds of associations, and also
> allows you to peel off a single association into its own fd. It is
> very similar to current UDP, but there is an extra cmsghdr structure
> which carries SCTP-specific information.
>
> Both views allow optional notifications of SCTP-related events. The
> format of these events will probably change at least one more time.

I quickly went through that draft... But it seems to me that the API does
not provide support for multi-stream from neither TCP-style nor UDP style
API. So how can one utilize the multi-stream feature of SCTP using this API?
Or did I mis-read some sections completely?

Are all of these three APIs going to co-exist in the future?