[SCTP-Discussion] Re: [Tsvwg] Possible DoS in SCTP ? (was: reception of invalid parameters)

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: Randall Stewart <randall AT stewart.chicago.il.us>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de, Hollaus Thomas <thomas.hollaus AT siemens.at>, tsvwg AT ietf.org
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: [Tsvwg] Possible DoS in SCTP ? (was: reception of invalid parameters)
  • Date: Thu Feb 14 14:52:00 2002

Dear all,

I am sorry for not explaining more exactly what I meant.
I am assuming an attack with IP-Spoofing. The evil attacker
(say E) is spoofing poor victim (say V), using oblivious
server (say) O.

Now,

Evil-Endpoint E:
Source IP V(spoofed)
Dest IP O
SCTP-INIT (invalid params) ----------------> Server O
SCTP-Abort,Error /
Poor Victim V <--------------/

Now, if E can use V, it could send such packets to a large number
of servers. And then V gets bombed with Aborts.

I agree fully, that an established association is safe, but that
was not the issue I was thinking about. Comments ?

Andreas