Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?

  • From: Carsten Fuchs <CarstenFuchs AT T-Online.de>
  • To: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:40:10 +0100

Hi all,

Thomas Dreibholz wrote:
[1] Personally, I'd just rename all *.c to *.cpp and replace the GArray
with std::vector<> and GList with std::list<>.

This creates a dependency for C++ compiler and libstdc++ (which is quite large: ca. 950K vs. ca. 150K for glib-1.2 under Linux).

Yes, but this would still be OK in my case: The C++ libs are available under all Unixes as well as under Windows, and my programs already use them anyway.
But of course I realize that that is an argument that is not necessarily
valid for others.

[2] Another approach was to keep the GArray and GList interfaces and
reimplement them with malloc() and free(), forgoing the allocation (speed)
optimizations in the glib implementation. Another downside here is the
introduction of new bugs with the new code.

What about simply extracting the code from glib? It is under LGPL, so it is no problem to create a mini glib under LGPL. sctplib is also LGPL, so it could be included in the sctplib package directly.

This is what I'm doing right now: reducing and changing the GArray and GList implementations so that they eventually use vanilla C code only, so that they run everywhere without other dependencies (except for the usual C runtime libs of course).

I don't know if the resulting pieces of code are still similar enough to glib to still be associated with it (license-wise), or if it could be called a rewrite from scratch. But as you said, because all related code came from the LGPL and is supposed to stay under LGPL, there should not be a problem.

Best regards,
Carsten

--
Ca3D - Engine http://www.Ca3D-Engine.de