Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:51:20 +0100

On Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Dreibholz wrote:
> > On Freitag, 1. Februar 2008, Carsten Fuchs wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Well, I was wondering what your plans wrt. glib are.
> >> Are you planning to get rid of it?
> >
> > Since glib is already installed on almost every Linux/FreeBSD/... system,
> > I have never thought about replacing it. However, it should not be very
> > difficult to do this. Writing a wrapper providing GList, GArray and the
> > type definitions should already be sufficient. So, if you write such a
> > wrapper, we could integrate it.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply!
> I tried several approaches for a wrapper over the weekend, but was not
> entirely satisfied with any of them.
>
> The big question is, how much/many changes/inconveniences/trouble would you
> accept in a wrapper to still integrate it with the "official" sctplib?
>
> [1] Personally, I'd just rename all *.c to *.cpp and replace the GArray
> with std::vector<> and GList with std::list<>.

This creates a dependency for C++ compiler and libstdc++ (which is quite
large: ca. 950K vs. ca. 150K for glib-1.2 under Linux).

> [2] Another approach was to keep the GArray and GList interfaces and
> reimplement them with malloc() and free(), forgoing the allocation (speed)
> optimizations in the glib implementation. Another downside here is the
> introduction of new bugs with the new code.

What about simply extracting the code from glib? It is under LGPL, so it is
no
problem to create a mini glib under LGPL. sctplib is also LGPL, so it could
be included in the sctplib package directly.

Dr. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Duisburg-Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de
Homepage: http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh