Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Carsten Fuchs <CarstenFuchs AT T-Online.de>, Irene Rüngeler <I.Ruengeler AT fh-muenster.de>
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:20:29 +0100

Dear all,

see my comments in-line.

On Feb 5, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Carsten Fuchs wrote:

Thomas Dreibholz wrote:
Compiling as C++ is not a big problem. I have added the type casts and created a test package. You can find it here:
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh/temp/sctplib-1.0.8beta2.tar.gz

Thanks!

Just FYI, here are a few minor points that I encountered when compiling sctplib with VC(++) 8 and 9, which are both a lot more standards conforming than the older VC(++) 6, and thus possibly more picky. VC++ 6 is btw. the only Windows compiler for which precompiled glib binaries are available...

Anyways, these points might be related to compiler version issues or something else, I just noted them for completeness:

a) The Microsoft compilers predefine the _WIN32, but not the WIN32 macro, so the code should probably test for _WIN32, not WIN32.
Irene, what is defined in VC6?

b) The types gint32_t and uint32_t are totally unknown even to the glib. Although the fix is easy (add "typedef int gint32_t; typedef unsigned int uint32_t;" to globals.hpp), I think they shouldn't be used at all.
I fixed this a couple of weeks ago. Thomas, I think you changed it again. Did you make sure that
the types are available?

There is no *.hpp. And gint32_t is available on all platform we currently support, since
it is provided by glib. Maybe we should change uint32_t to guint32_t or unsigned int, depending
on where it comes up. I think Thomas had a platform which uses ILP64 (Thomas, is this right? And
if yes, which platform was it?), Mac OS X, Linux and others use the LP64 and Windows used LLP64.
So if there is no ILP64, we could just use unsigned int.

c) With 1.0.7 I had some problems wrt. #inlude <sys/time.h> vs. #include <time.h>. No problems with 1.0.8beta2 though -- thanks! :-)

d) There are several warnings about comparisons between signed/ unsigned at the highest warning level (which I compile all my code with...). Any interest in a detailed report?
Maybe you can provide a unified diff?

Best,
Carsten

--