Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:03:55 +0100

On Freitag, 1. Februar 2008, Carsten Fuchs wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> my name is Carsten Fuchs, and I just stumbled over SCTP in general and
> www.sctp.de in particular when I was looking for improvements to the
> networking layer of my 3D engine (see http://www.ca3d-engine.de for
> details).
>
> Well, although I'm still at the familiarization and planning stage, SCTP
> and its related features sound really excellent, as well as your sctplib
> implementation!
> (I'm actually somewhat surprised that SCTP seems to be somewhat
> underutilized, considering its age and capabilities. It seems to not have
> entered the Microsoft world yet at all...)
>
> Anyways, I just managed to compile sctplib-1.0.7 under Win2000, using
> Visual C++ 8 (2005). SCons rather than make was used as the build system,
> in order to keep things as simple and portable as possible.
>
> The biggest worry that I encountered was the glib. I think that sctplib
> depending on glib is a great burden, and so just did not use it in my first
> test. As a temporary hot-fix / work-around, I simply placed all missing
> typdefs and declarations in a "glib_repl.h" (replacement) header file. That
> file ended up to contain some typedefs for the basic types and declarations
> for the GList and GArray (I've not bothered to provide similarly
> stripped-down implementations for those yet, as this was just an exercise
> in compiling).
>
> Well, I was wondering what your plans wrt. glib are.
> Are you planning to get rid of it?

Since glib is already installed on almost every Linux/FreeBSD/... system, I
have never thought about replacing it. However, it should not be very
difficult to do this. Writing a wrapper providing GList, GArray and the type
definitions should already be sufficient. So, if you write such a wrapper, we
could integrate it.

> As you're probably not going to port sctplib to C++ (are you?), it should
> probably still be straightforward to replace the GList and GArray structs
> and related functions with stripped down variants that can be included with
> the sctplib files.

I have just tried to compile sctplib with g++ instead of gcc. Probably, only
some casts are needed. I will have a further look.

Dr. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Duisburg-Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de
Homepage: http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh