[SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?

  • From: Carsten Fuchs <CarstenFuchs AT T-Online.de>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] New to sctplib / impl. without glib?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:36:12 +0100

Hi folks,

my name is Carsten Fuchs, and I just stumbled over SCTP in general and www.sctp.de in particular when I was looking for improvements to the networking layer of my 3D engine (see http://www.ca3d-engine.de for details).

Well, although I'm still at the familiarization and planning stage, SCTP and its related features sound really excellent, as well as your sctplib implementation!
(I'm actually somewhat surprised that SCTP seems to be somewhat underutilized, considering its age and capabilities. It seems to not have entered the Microsoft world yet at all...)

Anyways, I just managed to compile sctplib-1.0.7 under Win2000, using Visual C++ 8 (2005). SCons rather than make was used as the build system, in order to keep things as simple and portable as possible.

The biggest worry that I encountered was the glib. I think that sctplib depending on glib is a great burden, and so just did not use it in my first test. As a temporary hot-fix / work-around, I simply placed all missing typdefs and declarations in a "glib_repl.h" (replacement) header file.
That file ended up to contain some typedefs for the basic types and declarations for the GList and GArray (I've not bothered to provide similarly stripped-down implementations for those yet, as this was just an exercise in compiling).

Well, I was wondering what your plans wrt. glib are.
Are you planning to get rid of it?
As you're probably not going to port sctplib to C++ (are you?), it should probably still be straightforward to replace the GList and GArray structs and related functions with stripped down variants that can be included with the sctplib files.

I would be happy to help in this regard, as having sctplib as a standalone package would significantly help to use it with applications on the MS Windows platform.

Please let me know what your feelings and intentions are in this regard. I'm totally new in the SCTP world, and do not really have any insights into the current proceedings.

A thousand thanks, and
Best regards,
Carsten

--