Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Is the timer_list initialised?

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Is the timer_list initialised?
  • Date: Thu Apr 5 11:52:01 2001

> > > As that should not happen very often I don't think it
> > > is a performance problem.
>
> Really?
> For each UDP and SCTP packet received, the sockunion is converted to a
> string, (see adl_sockunion2str() calls in adaptation.c:dispatch_event())
> which would have to be eventually reparsed by the callback.
> This is unnecessary overhead.

Well, I have not only looked at your patches but also read
your comments :-)
In the current version of the code I have changed at least the
SCTP thing - it does not do the conversion twice now.

> > I prefer having predefined structs.
>
> So do I. IMHO passing string-encoded addresses, especially in callbacks,
> isn't a good idea.

And so do I, of course. That was why we initially passed sockunions.
I did not like the idea of strings, either at first - but Siemens
gets what Siemens wants :-)
And there were surprisingly few comments about the API, when we
discussed it before - well except for some of the Siemens developers,
notably Wolfgang Schrüfer who had some very good remarks.

Regards,
--

Andreas Jungmaier

void hamlet()
{#define question=((bb)||(!bb))}
Andreas Jungmaier, Dipl.-Ing.
University of Essen email:
ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Computer Networking Technology Group Tel. : +49 (0201) 183-7636
PGP Public Key and Fingerprint: see http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung