Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Is the timer_list initialised?

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de, Coene Lode <Lode.Coene AT siemens.atea.be>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Is the timer_list initialised?
  • Date: Wed Apr 4 16:54:02 2001

Hi Lode !

I will skip directly to your questions, as I am not sure I understand
fully, what you were doing :-)

> So the question is now:
> - should the char array only contain the part needed for sin.sin_addr(= the
> IP pointcode address) or should it include more?

The char array should contain a Zero terminated string as
123.252.150.129\0
or
fe80::250:4ff:feee:c783\0
where \0 stands for the zero termination. Anyway these strings are
forwarded to inet_aton()/inet_pton() respectively, which does the
actual conversion.

> - ain't it better to work with the sockunion struct instead of the
> char/byte array. At least the compiler get something more to do than
> generating assember code. It can warn you if you did provide the wrong
> parameter to your function. (I like strong type checking anyway by a
> compiler)

Well, we had some lengthy conversation with Wolfgang Schrüfer
and he felt it was better to have an sctp.h that did not include
any OS specific stuff (indeed it is plain C now).
Internally we use the struct sockunion - so there is one conversion
involved inside the library from string to struct sockunion
per new SCTP instance (plus another one in your application
maybe). As that should not happen very often I don't think it
is a performance problem.

Anyway, if the conversion fails, the function sctp_registerInstance
returns 0 as an error code - and you should know that the
registration has not worked.

Regards,

Andreas Jungmaier

void hamlet()
{#define question=((bb)||(!bb))}
Andreas Jungmaier, Dipl.-Ing.
University of Essen email:
ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Computer Networking Technology Group Tel. : +49 (0201) 183-7636
PGP Public Key and Fingerprint: see http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung